COVID-19 Update - 28 January 2021
28 January 2021
This week COVID-19 has edged its way back into the spotlight after a case was recorded in the community in Northland and two further cases have been identified in Auckland.
The latest updates suggest that these cases are linked to the border and that the virus was contracted from within managed isolation facilities. These cases are a stark reminder that we are operating during a global pandemic and that the situation can change within a matter of days.
We ask members to take the time to review your COVID response, ensure that hygiene practices are being maintained by both staff and members and that you are displaying the COVID 19 Tracer app QR Code as required by the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Level Requirements) Amendment Order 2020
Current Alert Level
All of New Zealand is now at Alert Level 1
Under alert level 1 clubs are able to operate without COVID-19 restrictions.
There are some common sense principals under level 1 that clubs, staff and members will need to keep applying:
- If you are sick, stay home
- If you have cold or flu-like symptoms get tested
- Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands
- Sneeze and cough into your elbow and regularly disinfect shared surfaces
- If you are told by health authorities to self-isolate, you must do so immediately
- If concerned about your wellbeing or you have underlying health conditions consult with your GP
- Keep track of where you've been and who you've seen so we can use that for contact tracing if needed
- Businesses should help with the above by displaying a QR code
- Stay vigilant
Rules that apply for everyone at all alert levels
Part 2 of the order outlines the requirements at all alert levels to prevent outbreak or spread of COVID-19
Display of QR codes in workplaces
All workplaces including clubs must ensure that a copy of the NZ COVID Tracer QR code for the workplace is displayed in a prominent place at or near the main entrance of the workplace.
Please remember Clubs New Zealand National Office is here to help, and we continue to encourage clubs to get in touch sooner rather than later if you have questions or require assistance.
COVID-19 Leave Support Scheme
The COVID-19 Leave Support Scheme is available for employers, including self-employed people, to help pay their employees who need to self-isolate and can't work from home.
This means your workers:
- can't come into work because they are in one of the affected groups and have been told to self-isolate, and
- can't work from home.
Anyone who is unwell should call Healthline on 0800 611 116 or talk to their doctor or health provider. Employers should encourage their employees to do this if they're unwell.
While we are hopeful that these latest cases are a blip on the radar, we do recommend that clubs take this opportunity to review requirements and put a plan in place should we face increased alert levels in the coming months.