Covering coin slots is unlawful
17 December 2020
The Department of Internal Affairs is aware that some venues are restricting players from inserting $2 coins in gaming machines by covering or taping over the machine coin slot. We view this as tampering with approved gaming equipment.
We remind all Class 4 operators and venues that:
- Tampering with gaming equipment is unlawful and must cease immediately.
- The Department takes tampering with gaming equipment seriously and may take immediate enforcement action where it believes gaming equpiment has been tampered with.
- This practice of preventing customers from using coins is also inconsistent with host responsibility of venues to minimise the risk of gambling-harms as it encourages patrons to gamble at levels they may not wish to or cannot afford to.
(1)The Secretary may disable or seal gambling equipment, without prior notice to the holder of the class 4 operator’s licence or class 4 venue licence, the venue operator, or the venue manager, if the Secretary believes, on reasonable grounds, that the gambling equipment does not comply with minimum standards, or is faulty, or has been tampered with.
(2) The Secretary must enable or unseal gambling equipment if the Secretary no longer believes, on reasonable grounds, that the gambling equipment does not comply with minimum standards, or is faulty, or has been tampered with or the Secretary is satisfied that the problem has been, or will be, rectified.
(3) A disablement or subsequent enablement may—
(a) be effected manually or by means of an electronic monitoring system; and
(b) result from a decision of the Secretary or occur automatically by the operation of an electronic monitoring system.
If you have any queries in relation to this email, please contact email@example.com
Please note the Holiday close down period is from 24 December to January 6 inclusive
The gambling inbox will not be monitored during this time
(SOURCE: Department of Internal Affairs, Gambling News, 16 December 2020)
Clubs New Zealand Area Meeting - Canterbury - North Otago - 15 May 2021
15 May 2021
Clubs New Zealand Area Meeting - Greater Auckland - 22 May 2021
22 May 2021
Clubs New Zealand Area Meeting - Wanganui - Taranaki - Manawatu - 19th June 2021
19 June 2021
2021 Club Management Conference
16 November 2021